1. Choosing the claims to be FactChecked
We pay attention to claims that could potentially cause a seismic shift in public perception on topics of general importance in Singapore. In choosing the claims to be FactChecked, we will consider how viral the claim is, how popular the topic is and how much the claim would impact the public. Claims can be in the form of social media content, forwarded text messages or any type of multimedia (video, photo, audio).
2. FactChecking the claims
Once we decide to FactCheck a claim, we will begin researching to verify the truth behind it:
Where possible, we seek the primary source’s confirmation on the basis behind the claim. We will publish the answer or the lack of one.
Where we are unable to confirm with the primary source, we will review as many independent and reliable secondary sources as possible to test the veracity of the claim. We also use open-source tools such as Google Reverse Image Search and Tineye to determine the origin of a video or photo in the claim.
Where neither primary nor secondary sources are available and it is unclear if a claim is true/false, we will state that the claim is unproven.
We will also highlight where a claim is technically true, but the claimant has chosen to give a one-sided view, where several other contexts are available.
3. Reaching out
We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of accuracy, objectivity and fairness. If you feel that we have not achieved the standard, we encourage you to contact us to request for a correction, submit a feedback or a claim to be fact-checked. Feel free to comment on any one of our posts or write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Each of our FactCheck comes with a rating to classify the claim made. It is not possible to adopt a “true” or “false” stance due to the nuances in each allegation, so we implemented a spectrum of rating to cover as many categories as possible.
Black Dot Research is entirely self-funded. We receive support from revenue generated through research projects and our clients have absolutely no influence over our content or FactCheck ratings. We do not seek and have never accepted, directly or indirectly, any funds from anonymous sources, political parties, candidates seeking public office or any other source we would consider a conflict of interest.
Our Ethics Policy
- Black Dot Research is an independent and neutral company. We are non-partisan and are not involved in any advocacy or activist group.
- Employees of Black Dot Research are not allowed to be involved in any partisan political activities or have any affiliations with any political parties.
- We strive for quality of information at all times. We commit ourselves to the truth and fairness in doing FactChecks.
- Fact-checking is a continuous endeavour. We will update or correct our publications if new information or an error has been identified and brought to our attention.